Remembrance

Two years ago, I had the privilege of attending Veterans Day services in Scotland and London - or as they called it, Remembrance Day.

The ceremony in London was a grand thing, with an awesome ceremony and touching words. But much more moving was a simple flower laying I witnessed at a memorial for commandos near Achnacarry. Some friends and family of a young man who'd lost his life in Iraq spent a few moments remembering him. There wasn't a parade, or a band; no speeches, no songs. But it was a moment as important as any at the national day in London.

I've seen that moment repeated countless times at small cemeteries around the area where I live. Most of the veterans remembered were older men when they passed away, but I doubt that lessens the feeling of their loss; I know it doesn't lessen the struggles they faced during their time of service.

There's no way of compensating the living, let alone the dead, no matter how necessary the sacrifice. We just go on and do our best.

No comments: