Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
the DFM controversy


Aside from the decision to set Assault Horizon in the “real world,” DFM or close-in dogfighting mode has been the most controversial aspect of the game.*

It should be said that DFM was controversial within the development team as well. In fact, when the mode was first being discussed there were spirited exchanges about how the controls would work. A lot of traditionalists – and I would count myself in that group – felt DFM would take too much from the player. We wanted the old “classic” style that we had grown up with in the game.

(As many people know, I wrote the story and was deeply involved in the development of the game. It also happens that I have been a fan of the Ace Combat since it was originally called Air Combat and showed up on the early PlayStation consoles – which dates me, I know.)

Admittedly, there were benefits to DFM, most especially for new players. Getting new players into the franchise was an important goal, one that everyone agreed on. The new control scheme did have measurable advantages in other ways. And I also have to admit that the graphics and gameplay possible in DFM blew me away the first time I saw them. They do today. Still, I’m not exaggerating when I say that feelings on the matter were vehement. Certainly mine were.

The bottom line result of all those discussions, thought, and most of all work by the team: Players can chose to fly how they want. They can use DFM, or they can fly what is essentially a “classic” mode. And of course you can map your controls to your own specs, classic or whatever, if you wish.

While I personally will probably continue to prefer the “classic” approach, I have warmed up quite a bit to DFM as I’ve seen it grow. I suspect that most players, even those who have been with the franchise since back in the PS2 days, will at least try both. And for certain missions and situations, they may find they prefer DFM.

There has been a lot of needless confusion and controversy on this issue. Veterans who have been with the series for years are an important part of our community, and we tried in various ways to incorporate their preferences into the new game. I realize you can’t please everyone, but I think some of the team’s efforts and concern for the existing community have been lost as reports have understandably focused on what’s new.

Assault Horizon is new. It is an exciting rebirth. But the heart of the franchise is still there.

* If you're not familiar with DFM (Dogfight mode, also known as CRA, for Close-Range Assault), check out the post above, which has a video.

No comments: