Living your beliefs?


Saw this in the paper of record this morning:


Some Unemployed Find Fault
in Extension of Jobless Benefits

Dan Tolleson, a researcher and writer with a Ph.D. in politics, has been out of work since 2009, except for brief stints as a driver. Still, he opposes President Obama’s call for Congress to renew extensions on unemployment benefits.

“They’re going to end up spending more money on unemployment benefits, while less money is coming in on tax returns,” he said, suggesting that the government should focus on measures that might encourage businesses to hire. “Far better to relax some of these outrageous regulations.”

Make no mistake — Mr. Tolleson, 54, has collected unemployment checks, saying he had little choice. But his objection to a policy that would probably benefit him shows just how divisive the question has become of providing a bigger safety net to the long-term jobless, a common strategy in recessions.




Which kind of begs the question - if you think it's a bad idea, why are you taking my money in the first place?

The story claimed that a fourth of all people receiving unemployment insurance think the concept is a bad idea. So maybe a lot of people shouldn't be taking my money.

(I pay unemployment insurance though it would be nearly impossible for me to collect it. I don't begrudge those who have lost a job and want the help - it's little enough, I'm sure, and they have paid into the system as we all do - it's insurance, not a handout. I hope and pray I'm never in the position where I would have to consider it.)

No comments: