Havana Strike




Havana Strike was published in 1997. The world has changed greatly since then. Cuba unfortunately hasn't.

True, there are many positives signs on the island, and from what I've heard, conditions have greatly improved since the late 1990s. Still, even the most optimistic would be hard pressed to call the island a democracy. The great potential of the Cuban people - as creative and hard-working as you'll find - remains stymied by the dictatorship that still rules and in many cases ruins their lives.

I first got the idea for the book while I was doing research for something else and came across the original now-declassified CIA papers relating the Cuban missile crisis. One of the reports blew my mind: in essence, it said the Agency could not be sure that one or two missiles had not been left behind.

The story began there. But I was also influenced by friends who had escaped the island and come to America. I was very fortunate and privileged to hear some of their stories, and while it would be difficult if not impossible to trace anything in the book back to those accounts, in a very real way they inspired me to write.

You can get Havana Strike for the Kindle at Amazon.com here.

No comments: