Stolen Valor, lost truth

Largely lost in the fumeroll of yesterday's Obamacare ruling, the Supreme Court this week declared that the Stolen Valor Act is unconstitutional.

In a ruling written by Justice Anthony Kennedy, the court determined that the act was too broad for seeking to "control and suppress all false statements on this one subject in almost limitless times and settings without regard to whether the lie was made for the purpose of material gain."

Basically, the Supremes are saying that lying in and of itself is constitutional. I guess.

I don't know. On the one hand, obviously I'm in favor of Free Speech. But I've always been taught that free speech has limits, and that one must speak responsibly. Claiming to be something you're not - well, I guess it would seem to me that there should be some limits.

Maybe we can't legislate all of those limits, common decency, or honor.

No comments: