The middle doesn't hold


I've avoided writing about the fiasco with my Yankee seats, since there's really no way to do it without sounding either spoiled or cranky, or both. My partners and I had great seats, now we don't.

We'll suck it up.

One thing about the process really bothers me, however. In attempting to maximize the $$ and heighten the experience for the rich, the new stadium segregates the well-heeled-and-hosed from the merely-raped rabble. What's galling is not so much the fact that seats which cost about sixty bucks last season - an outrageous price in itself -- are now going for $350 (and up). It's the advertising of the separate entrances and all the other crap that go with those special opportunities to be hosed.

I suppose I should just be my usual cynical self about it all, though it's a little harder to laugh at the fools paying that money when I suspect that they or their corporations got taxpayer handouts (which means I'm really paying the money, and they should be laughing). But the segregation is just one more reminder of what's happened not to Yankee Stadium, or even just New York, but the country in general. Money flexes its muscles as never before.

Ironic that we're in the middle of a depression?

Heh.

No comments: