In the History aisle


If you're a "popular" writer, publishers - and readers - want to put you into an identifiable niche, something that makes it easy to find your books in a bookstore. Writers who want to write different kinds of books do so at their own peril (and sometimes that of their readers).

The aisle I supposedly fit in is "Thriller" or sometimes "Techno-Thriller" or even "Military Thriller." But bunches of my work can be found elsewhere in the store. (Hopefully.)

One of my favorite parts of the store is the historical section, where my Patriot Spy books first appeared. Admittedly, it's smaller and dustier place than many of the other niches, but it's also cozy and a lot of fun, especially when they break out the rum.

There's obviously a huge difference between the "skin" of a techno-thriller and that of an historical novel: the settings, the gear, the language . . . the list seems endless. But for me, the core of the books - entertaining adventures where the hero overcomes (many) obstacles - are actually very similar.

I wrote the Patriot Spy series because I was interested in history, the Revolutionary War, and the Hudson Valley (where much of that series is set). The series also gave me a chance to explore slightly different takes on narrative, with direct influences from the 18th century (give or take) works I'd long admired. (And studied in school, along with those physics classes.) But the main goal - for those books and every other novel I've ever written - wasn't to teach; it was to entertain. History is ammunition for a good and hopefully absorbing time.

No comments: